Saturday, April 18, 2009

Kid Friendly Oatmeal Pancakes...without the guilt!


My children as any child love pancakes, but the traditional ones we are used to are really "cakes in a pan"! So I decided to add some ingredients to make it more like a breakfast dish and they don't complain because I add some mini chocolate chips and that's what they look forward to.
Ingredients:
1 cup Pancake mix
1 cup Oatmeal ( I microwave 2/3 cup water 1min. then add oat flakes to soak for 2 min, stir it)
1 cup milk
1 whole egg
2 tbsp ground flaxseed (add as much as you wish)
2 tbsp wheat bran or wheat germ (extra fibre)
1 tbsp cinnamon
mini chocolate chips for top: once you pour batter in pan and before you flip them, just a few.

There are variations: add mashed bananas and sprinkle toasted pecans, add frozen or fresh fruit or peanut butter in the batter!!

For me I omit the pancake mix and add Protein powder. You can use buckwheat flour, gluten free or soy flour. Also cottage cheese is delicious in the mix instead of flour. I add protein at every meal, keeps me full longer.

Protein Oatmeal pancakes:
1 cup of Oatmeal ( cooked in water as above)
1 whole egg and a few egg whites if you want (I buy the Egg Whites Only in a carton)
1 scoop protein powder (I use Iso-Flex chocolate chip) or 1/2 c flour or cottage cheese
1/2 c water
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp ground flaxseeds and wheat bran
1 tsp baking powder
I sometimes add Almond butter in the batter or spread it on top if i don't have applesauce(instead of syrup)

Try and see what you like just add water for the right pourable consistency.
Wrap and freeze the extras!

Okay I'm off to do laundry!
Have a nice day!

1 comment:

  1. this sounds great i will have to try them ..thank you for sharing ....:)


    Cathy

    ReplyDelete